Monday, April 17, 2023

LIMEROCK PEAK & WILDFLOWERS

A friend of mine suggested a hike and she knew that I would be happy to find lots of wildflowers. She was right!

The trailhead was located in Little Tujunga.

As soon as I started walking on the fireroad I was greeted with tall sunflowers and lush green hills.

Since this was my first time at this location I had to do some route finding through instructions given to me. 

I was curious about a wash that was not part of the route. I was told that if II started to head in that direction that I was going the wrong way. However, my curiosity got the best of me. I walked half way through the narrow wash until I came upon a dry waterfall. I climbed up but then I could see that it was impossible to get up the ridge without proper gear.

Nevertheless, it had colorful rocks but there was alot of debris. Downed trees, rocks, etc. Not a good place to be during a rainstorm.

After exiting, I headed up the road, passing a watertank along the way. 

Also, I forgot to mention earlier that there is a shooting range nearby so gun shots could be heard during my route finding up to the peak.

The ridge trail is very overgrown. It's steep, with a few switchbacks but the scenery was beautiful. I was surrounded with lush, green hills, the wildflowers where everywhere and took over the trail. 

It was a little challenging to navigate because the use path up to the summit was hard to see through the overgrown grass. 

The final push up to the summit was clear. The summit was wide and there were 360- degree views. I didn't hear the gunshots at the top.

We found a huge pile of rocks. There was a cross on the ground. I picked it up and re-positioned it. 

I also put a new register at the top so, I'm curious if anyone will find it. 

It was obvious that someone had been up there I just don't know when.

I decided to do a loop hike which lead me back down to wash by the road and walked back to the car via the road fir about half a mile.

It was a short 4 mile hike round trip but a nice steep trail both on the ascent and descent. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment