Sunday, November 27, 2022

IDLEHOUR TO EAST MOUNT FUJI

 On Sunday, I hiked with Sean to Idelhour Camp. It had been years since I've hiked the Idlehour trail to the campsite. We started at the Pinecrest gate in Altadena and hiked to Henninger Flats. After a short break, we continued on the Mt. Wilson toll road to the bridge where the Idelhour trail begins. 

Along the way, we saw some deer grazing by the road. A cool thing to see since the road isn't too appealing. 

Anyways, once we started to ascend the Idlehour trail we got some awesome views and  I could see the summit of East Mt. Fuji which I was going to bag on the way back to my car. 

At the Idlehour campsite, it was very peaceful and beautiful. Lots of fall foliage in the canyon and the water in the creek had a good flow with a mini waterfall. 

After a long lunch, we said our goodbyes and I left Sean at the campsite. I ascended back up the Idlehour trail to the main road. Along my route, I was mesmerized by all the colors that surrounded me in the canyon. I was alone and it was so peaceful. 

Once I reached the road, I continued the opposite way (toward Mt. Wilson) until I reached a saddle. I met a biker who was taking a break under a huge tree that had fantastic views. 

After a short conversation, I headed up the used path toward the peak. It looked as if there had been a recent fire. There were firehoses in the area and evidence of burned tree stumps. Past the burn area was some communication equipment. I don't think it was affected by the fire because it looked like it was in good shape. There was also a camera that was knocked over so I lifted it from the ground and placed it upright. 

I continued to search the area but did not find a register or benchmark so I descended the same way I hiked and decided to sit under the tree for a break and admire the views. 

On the way down I stopped at Henninger Flats again for a short break. I was hoping to beat the sunset so that I wouldn't have to walk back to my car in the dark. 

During the entire hike after leaving Idelhour camp I was alone on the trails with the exception of a few bikers speeding down the road from Mt. Wilson. 

Stats: 16 miles, 2500+ ft of gain




















No comments:

Post a Comment